Following through on a new years resolution

One of the few creative things I can do is cook and bake, and tend to make things up as I go along. Here is my attempt to document my creativity.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Yellow Beet, Avocado, Gorgonzola on Mix Greens Salad


Look at that lovely photo. Yes that is fake wood, and a legal pad in the background. The yellow beets really bring out that legal pad yellow. That's right, today's installment is food that you can assemble at work. Yea workday salads!
I created this one last week after a trip to the farmers market. I was shopping around and wanted to see what beets were available. Only ONE vendor had them. And they were yellow! They have a mellower flavor and were just as good. They have so many bonuses involved with cooking yellow beets. Less messy. It doesn't look like you commited murder. AND last but not least, it doesn't look like your dying when you go to the bathroom.
Night before: chop off the greens on the beets and scrub thoroughly and drop into boiling water. Cook for 20 minutes or so. allow to cool completely and use the back of the knife to peel the skin on the beets. dice and put in a small container.
Make or buy sweetened roasted pecans. I had some leftover from the Lost Night beet salad (see 2 posts ago).
Mix a couple kinds of prewashed greens - spinach and romaine. Put in a tupperwear. What's not to love about the organic greens selection at Traders.
1 whole ripe avocado. cut in half, scoop out. dice. do this at work, not at home.
2 tablespoons of gorgonzola cheese. I was out of goat, I prefer goat cheese, but this was a really nice change. I think the potency of the gorgonzola was a nice contrast to the beets.
Extra Virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dressing.
Just before eating, place ingredients in a tub or plate or bowl or whatever. Juice your lemon and add the dressing. toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment