Following through on a new years resolution

One of the few creative things I can do is cook and bake, and tend to make things up as I go along. Here is my attempt to document my creativity.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

An Epiphany

Okay so this doesn't have to do with food, and there isn't a recipe, it's just an epiphany. I am in marathon training. I've had a base for awhile, and just been building on it. So I ran 20 miles last week. I ran it in three sessions, and it was all at the end of the week. After my 12 mile run, my running buddy Kris and I were discussing things, and one of the points she brought up was that we just burned 1400 calories in this one run. Awesome, right. Then I counted the beers I drank this week, which kind of was alot for me, which turned out to be 13. They aren't light beers either. She laughed and said that I didn't burn off the amount of beers I consumed this week in the one run. That bummed me out a bit, not the fact that she laughed at me, but because I really didn't burn off all the beer. So I calculated 12 miles into 1400 calories is about 117 calories per mile (it's 116.67 but let's just round to make things easier). I ran 20 miles for the week, at 117 calories per mile is 2,340 calories burned. I don't drink light beer, and a regular beer ranges anywhere between 140-200 calories. Per Bottle. There were pints involved, and also a couple goblets. But I would say most of them were bottles. I think. So I am going to err on the side of high and said 180 calories per beer on average. 13 beers times 180 calories is...drum roll please....2,340 calories. Would you look at that. Crap. Well it could have been worse, I could have came in at a loss instead of just zero'd out. But still. I thought that was a lot of miles to work off that many beers. So I am cutting down. Officially. Starting this week.

2 comments:

  1. sorry folks, I'll keep my ranting to a minimal next time and stick to food. I'll post a shell pasta with chicken recipe today to make up for it.

    ReplyDelete