Following through on a new years resolution

One of the few creative things I can do is cook and bake, and tend to make things up as I go along. Here is my attempt to document my creativity.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Magical Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce


To brag or not to brag about ones own cooking. OK, brag. This sauce is so good you weaken at the knees and raise your eyebrows. It's almost hypnotic. It's shockingly simple (well what I consider simple for a sauce). There is some magical property that happens when you reduce vodka into garlic, shallots, and tomatos and cream. Alright I have to admit, this is not ENTIRELY of my own creation, and I am stealing this a little from Rachel Ray, who is my Julia Child in terms of cooking inspiration. But, I've made some mods. So here is my take:
1/2 pound of penne pasta
2 tbsp (a couple pan turns) of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 shallots
7 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 to 1.5 cups of vodka
1 large can of whole tomatos
heavy whipping cream (or half and half)
8-10 basil leaves. or a big handful.
handful of parmegiano oregiano. or fresh grated parm.
salt and pepper to taste
Bring to boil a large stock pot of water, salted. Once the water boils, add pasta and cook as directed. Drain.
While the water is going, preheat a very large pan with olive oil over low heat. Mince shallots and add, bringing the heat to medium. I find this works well to prevent the olive oil to reach a smoking point. Mince garlic, add to pan, and season with salt and pepper and add red pepper flakes. Cook for a minute and add vodka. I like to pour enough vodka until it reaches the sides of the pan. it looks like a lot, but reduces a lot too - by at least 1/2 to 3/4. So don't use crap plastic bottle vodka because you concentrate flavors when you reduce. While the vodka is reducing, crush the whole tomatos in a blender until smooth. then add to the reduced vodka. Allow that to heat through while you are mincing basil. add a couple turns of the pan of heavy cream. You'll want it to be pink. add in the basil and stir to wilt. then add a handful of cheese. S n P to taste. Add the cooked drained pasta to the sauce and stir. Sprinkle some parm on top, cover, and allow to melt for a minute. Taste. Yeah, it's that good.

1 comment:

  1. I have never been even remotely tempted by vodka cream sauce...until now. I want to weaken at the knees!!

    ReplyDelete