Following through on a new years resolution

One of the few creative things I can do is cook and bake, and tend to make things up as I go along. Here is my attempt to document my creativity.

Friday, April 2, 2010

This Beet is Going Greek



I am now on a quest to be thin. I got 8 weeks until memorial day - beach season - and I need to get skinny. Let's see how well I can hold the heavy whipping cream for the next two months. Don't worry, I wont get boring on the blog. The body still wants the extra 3500 calories a week I burn on the runs, so I gotta satisfy somehow.

I actually really enjoyed this salad. it was very easy to assemble and the beets were a nice contrast to the mediteranean flavors. I guess spinach isn't very greek, but neither are beets, so I guess this is more of a Greek inspired meal than a greek meal.

The tomatos were grown indoors in Carlsbad, so they were still local even though they were out of season. Even though it was local and I let it ripen for a week, I think tomatos are still best over the summer. The taboulie salad I got in a tub from Baba Foods at the OB Farmers market. it already has lemon juice in it, but the extra lemon juice just makes it spectacular.

2 massive handfuls of baby spinach
3 precooked beets - Yea TJ's - sliced and set aside
1/2 cup of prepared Taboulie salad (if you are feeling extra motivated make your own: parsley, bulgar wheat, tomatoes, red onions, lemon juice, olive oil, and some spices)
1 tomato
1/2 lemon
Extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar

lay out the spinach and arrange beets in a circle. plop the taboulie salad in the middle and slice up a tomato and also place around hte taboulie. juice the lemon over everything. dress with oil and vinegar. easy on the vinegar because there is already acid with the lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment