Following through on a new years resolution

One of the few creative things I can do is cook and bake, and tend to make things up as I go along. Here is my attempt to document my creativity.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Frances' Birthday Strawberry Shortcake


Looking through Frances' photos from her bodypaint festival, I came across this one. I was very late to her birthday dinner because I was still putting together this cake. I missed the dinner, but Frances, Vicky, and myself still very much enjoyed her cake. It's SUPER easy, and really delicious. The double bonus was that this was Frances' favorite birthday cake growing up, and she use to ask her mother to make her one each year for her birthday.

cake:
1 box of white cake mix. I believe this one was Pillsbur. Make as instucted and mix with 2 eggs, oil, and water.
Use a bundt pan so you have a cake with a hole in the middle to fill with fruit. Bake as directed.

filling:
1 pint of fresh strawberries
about 2 tablespoons of white sugar

whipped topping. Cool whip or other brand.

wash and hull the strawberries. Slice into quarters and place in a bowl. add sugar, and toss. The sugar will incorporate into the strawberries and create a light sauce.

After the cake has cooled enough to remove, place on a platter. Then flip it onto the plate you want to use. Take the strawberries and fill the hold in the middle first, then arrange the rest of them on top. Spoon the extra sauce over the berries and cake. Serve with a dallop of whipped topping.

Happy Birthday Frances!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment