Following through on a new years resolution

One of the few creative things I can do is cook and bake, and tend to make things up as I go along. Here is my attempt to document my creativity.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pantry Chili


This chili was created out of necessity. I had a pound of ground turkey in the fridge, and I had to do something with it quickly before it turned. So chili it is. Unfortunately, it did not have the flair of my regular chili, which contains a ton of peppers and greater depth of flavor, but this was pretty good for what I had around the house, not prepared to make chili. Luckily I had a can of Chili peppers in adobo, which essentially saved my butt in making this. It adds a really nice smoke flavor and just enough heat.
1 pound of ground turkey
canola oil
4-6 minced shallots
5 cloves of garlic minced
1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce (regular can, not mini)
1/2 box of chicken stock
1/2 can chipotle peppers in adobo
1/2 bag of frozen corn
1 fresh hot pepper - no idea what kind it was, it was red and green and form the yard
1 teaspoon cumin
2 heaping tablespoons of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning
Saute the ground turkey with canola oil, and add minced garlic and shallots while browning. When cooked through drain the beans, do not rinse, and add them in. Season with steak seasoning, chili powder, parsley, oregano. Then add the tomatoes and sauce. Now add in 1/2 a box of chicken stock and bring to boil. while that is going open the chipotle peppers and pull out half the can. dice them and scoop them up, sauce, seeds and all and place that in the pot. add in cumin to taste. Place the corn in a coriander, and run some water over it to quickly defrost, then add into the pot. Bring to boil. Serve over rice. This will thicken as it stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment