Following through on a new years resolution

One of the few creative things I can do is cook and bake, and tend to make things up as I go along. Here is my attempt to document my creativity.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Marbled Brownies



OK so I have to admit that this is not entirely my recipe, and I nabbed it right from the top of the cream cheese box. It's brownies from a box too, but this mix is better than the brownies that I make. However, I have made some minor changes. I swapped out vegetable oil and used canola to make it less heart attack enducing, and decreased the cream cheese by two ounces because it's all I didn't have a full 8 ounce package, and it still turned out really pretty and tasty.

1 box or pouch of Ghirardeli brownie mix (Costco is the best deal on this)
1 egg
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup canola oil

6 ounces of softened cream cheese (allow to go to room temperature 3 hours earlier)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg

Pam cooking spray (or other nonstick cooking spray)
8 x 8 pan

In one large bowl, pour the brownie mix in, add the egg, oil, and water. Mix with a wire whisk until well incorporated and smooth - it wont be perfect because of the chocolate chunks, but the rest of the batter should be smooth and shiny.

Preheat the oven to 375

In another bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese for about 30 seconds. Then add the rest of the ingredients, one at time: sugar, vanilla, and egg. Beat until smooth each time. This should take about 2 minutes.

Prepare the 8x8 pan with Pam, by spraying the bottom and sides of the pan. Pour the brownie batter into the pan. Spoon in the cream cheese mixture on top in different places. take a knife and swirl the batter around to make a pattern. If it is too white on top, take a spoon or use a knife to grab a little brownie from the bottom layer, move it to the top, and continue swirling until a desired pattern is achieved. Bake for 35-40 minutes (I baked for 38 minutes). allow to cool to room temperature (or as close to it as you can) before cutting. Refrigerate any leftover brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment