Following through on a new years resolution

One of the few creative things I can do is cook and bake, and tend to make things up as I go along. Here is my attempt to document my creativity.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Easier Caprese Pasta Salad and Artichokes with Clarified Garlic Butter


This meal was inspired by a farm stand stop in Gilroy. We saw this place on the way up to San Jose, and I really wanted to stop on my way back. There was lots of amazing fresh produce, and some of the things I picked up were a braid of garlic, fresh mini heirloom tomatoes, and artichokes.
I have never clarified butter before, but thought I should give it a try because I wanted something to dip the artichoke in and look appealing. Clarifying butter is simply the process of removing the milk solids from the butter to create a yellow clear liquid. Something you would see on the side of you plate if you ordered lobster or crab at a restaurant. I created a garlic version of it, and it wasn't too garlicky at all. Or I am totally immune to it. I ended up putting the milk solids from the butter into the pasta. Why waste perfectly good butter. The pasta I served at room temperature
serves 4
Easier Caprese Pasta Salad - with butter solids.
1/2 pack (8oz or so) of penne pasta
1 pound of mix heirloom tomatoes (one small box)
5 tbsp EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 large handful of basil (1/2 pack or so)
1 log fresh mozzarella
4 garlic cloves
Serves 2-3
clarified butter
3/4 stick of butter
2 cloves of minced garlic
Serves 2
2 steamed artichokes.
if you are steaming artichokes, I think it takes at least 45 minutes. Boil some water, drop in your steam attachment, lid it, and let it cook. I would turn it about every 15 minutes or so
on a separate pot, boil enough water for the half pack of pasta. add the pasta and cook as directed and add an extra minute or two. While the pasta is cooking, dice the tomatoes and mince the garlic. Julienne the basil. Cube the fresh mozzarella but set the aside to add in at the end. Drain the pasta when completed.
In a large bowl place the drained pasta. add the garlic, olive oil, and vinegars and toss. the oil and vinegars should unstick the pasta. Allow to cool for a couple minutes. add in the tomatoes and basil and toss.
in a small saucepan, meltdown the butter and add the minced garlic on medium low heat. when the butter is completed melted it should have bubbly white solids on top. Take a spoon and scrape the surface. Place whatever you scooped into the pasta dish. allow to cook for another minute and scrape the surface again. Repeat about 4 times or until the butter is clear. if there is garlic in it still that is fine. also if you scrape off some of the butter and placed that into the pasta dish, that is fine too, it just adds flavor. To serve, place a scoop of the pasta salad on a plate, with the artichoke, and place a serving of butter into the mini bowl to drip.

No comments:

Post a Comment