Following through on a new years resolution

One of the few creative things I can do is cook and bake, and tend to make things up as I go along. Here is my attempt to document my creativity.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Apple - Pear Crisp Crumble


Upon doing some research because I had to name this little recipe, I found out the difference between a crisp, cobbler, and crumble.

a cobbler has dough dropped by the spoonfulls and makes a clumpy "cobbled" surface
a crisp has flour, butter, sugar, and nuts,
a crumble has flour, sugar, butter, and oatmeal

So this recipe has flour, butter, sugar, nuts, and oatmeal. So I decided to name it a Crisp Crumble. it's rich and sweet, and enough to feed a potluck crowd with an 8 1/2 x 11 dish. I have a tiny food processor, so I had to make the crumble topping in 2 batches, which does split nicely.

1 cup flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup raw pecans
1 cup butter (2 sticks) - super cold
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice

6 cups of a combination of peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples and pears. My ratio was 4 cups apples, and 2 cups pears

start peeling and slicing the fruit and set aside when completed. Mix to combine

preheat oven to 350. In a food processor combine the rest of the crisp - crumble ingredients. add in the butter last. I would even recommend popping the butter in the freezer for a few minutes prior to make sure it is as cold as possible. Dice the butter into little squares before putting into the food processor. but don't handle the butter too much or it will go to room temperature and it will not crumble as nicely. Pulse all the ingredients together until combined and crumbly.
place the apples and pears in an 8 1/2 x 11 dish. Pack them in tight. Top with the mixture. Bake for about 40 - 50 minutes, uncovered.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment