Following through on a new years resolution

One of the few creative things I can do is cook and bake, and tend to make things up as I go along. Here is my attempt to document my creativity.

Monday, July 26, 2010

WiLd Rice Summer Salad



sorry for the low res photo guys, just trying new phone options.
This salad was a Trader Joe’s inspiration and perfect to prepare in the summer when the kitchen gets too hot because no cooking or heating required. And very minimal chopping (ahem Shan and Vic =) I was shopping and stocking up on stuff for comic con weekend when I came across this demo. I did one small change to this salad, but otherwise, this is a solid recipe of the demo lady’s creation. It packed nicely in my purse in a little to go container, and served as a great lunch while waiting for Sons of Anarchy and the Always Sunny panels at Comic Con. I served my own bowl with chopped tomatoes, but my friend can’t stand tomatoes so I left them out of the main pot bowl. Tastes great both ways, IMHO.

1 pack of precooked wild rice
1 can of whole kernel corn, drained
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
½ red onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
½ - ¾ of a bottle of fresh cilantro dressing
1 lemon – will use zest and juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Tomatoes – optional. The whole mini ones would work well Or dice up a few and add in.

The rice pack comes air tight, and is precooked. Just open the bag and push into a large bowl. Fluff with a fork. Open up the cans of corn and black bean. Drain the corn and place in the bowl, then dump the black beans into a strainer rinse and allow to drain, the place them in the bowl. Mince the garlic and chop the red onion. Toss all of it together. Then zest the lemon – I recommend a microplane which totally rocks. Then juice the lemon over the salad. Toss. Add in the tomatoes if you want. Dress the salad with the cilantro dressing and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment